Sunday, September 16, 2007

She Works Hard For The Money

I don't want to give you the idea that this blog is solely about MySpace, because it isn't. But as I've mentioned before, I do a lot work work with MySpace both personally and professionally.

It truly is an amazing marketing tool for artists, and I've personally seen how it can influence CD sales. Rising country star Taylor Swift even thanked her MySpace friends on a recent award show. But it takes work...lots of it. Most artists I know have a MySpace page, because they're "told that they need one." And yes, you DO need one, but if you have one, you need to spend time with it every day. The least you should do EVERY day is approve incoming friend requests and answer any messages. And if you can't personally do it, have someone you trust help you.

Back when I was in radio, it took me over six months to get one of country music's rising stars to approve me as a friend. I complained about this situation to the artist's record company on numerous occasions. I heard tons of excuses about why it was taking so long, but none of them made sense.

Throughout that time, all I could think about was what if I was just a regular fan, and had just discovered this artist and all I wanted to do was to tell the world how much I loved their music? They're surely not going to wait six months to give you free publicity.

Take the time to do it right! If you don't have the time (or don't have someone to help you), you'd almost be better not having a page at all.

No comments: